Wednesday, April 2, 2008

Well, its about time that I talk about my obsession with pocket knives and Swiss Army Knives. When I was about 4 years old I nearly cut my finger off after asking my Dad if I could close his pocket knife, I have been in love with pocket knives ever since. My Mom was very upset with my Dad for some reason though. LOL
My first knife was a cheap fishing type knife, probably an Imperial or Colonial brand but I do not remember. It had the fish hook disgorger and a rather long blade. It did not take me long to get it all rusted up since it stayed in my tackle box most of the time. Later on I bought a Frontier,(Schrade) Double Eagle lock back with a belt sheath. That knife I learned how to sharpen with a whetstone. My Dad always used water and a cheap stone right in the kitchen sink with the water running. I bought and learned to use an Arkansas stone with honing oil.
My next knife was a gift from an uncle of mine. He bought me a large Schrade + LB7 lock back with leather belt sheath. At the time I thought it was huge! It is a large knife, 5 inches closed and 8 and 3/4 inches opened. Since I started earning my own money I have been buying knives that I liked and could afford. I have a Puma Boot Knife that ran me about $30 way back in the late 1970's. It is like new and hardly used. I have and still do own several Old-Timers.
Now an adult, (well I might be grown up but do not really feel like an adult), I bought my first SAK from eBay in 2000. It was a Victorinox Spartan with plain red cellidor handles. I have bought many since that time. Many for using and many for just collecting. More to come......